How can you guys not be talking more about Sano?

Mashed Potatoes

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm curious how a talent like Sano stacks up against the college and high school guys available later tonight.

If Sano was in the 2009 draft when do you think he would be drafted?

I haven't been able to see video yet (have an arrangement in place to get that though) . . . I would imagine he would fall in the 11-16 range. Lots of talent, but questions as to how well he can put it together.

• 3 weeks later...

From BaseballAmerica.com (you'll need a subscription)...

One international scouting director on Dominican shortstop Miguel Sano, who spent the last three days working out for the Orioles: "To me, his swing is better than Miguel Cabrera's. Mechanically, it's better. In terms of pitch recognition, Sano seems to have that, for a 16-year-old kid. He's going to go out there and get confused sometimes, but he's going to make adjustments..."

With the signing period starting July 2nd, it's exciting to think that we are 'in' on Sano. Getting Sano would be a real serious indication of the Orioles' intentions in the international markets... and continue an impressive organizational shift in Andy MacPhail's short reign.

From BA...

One international scouting director on Dominican shortstop Miguel Sano, who spent the last three days working out for the Orioles: "To me, his swing is better than Miguel Cabrera's. Mechanically, it's better. In terms of pitch recognition, Sano seems to have that, for a 16-year-old kid. He's going to go out there and get confused sometimes, but he's going to make adjustments..."

With the signing period starting July 2nd, it's exciting to think that we are 'in' on Sano. Getting Sano would be a real serious indication of the Orioles' intentions in the international markets... and continue an impressive organizational shift in Andy MacPhail's short reign.

Signing Sano would be another watershed moment for this franchise. MacPhail has never ponied up for premium amateur FA talent. This is his chance...

Signing Sano would be another watershed moment for this franchise. MacPhail has never ponied up for premium amateur FA talent. This is his chance...

And if he DOESN'T sign him because the Pirates throw $6 mil at a 16 year old kid that means McPhail has failed the Orioles, failed Baltimore, failed his father's legacy and should be banished from the metropolitan area.

There is NO excuse if McPhail is unable to sign him. He needs to offer more money than anybody else. He needs to pony up and make a statement, much like that great negotiator and talent evaluator Tom Hicks. When he signed A-Rod to 250 mil and handed Chan Ho Park a small island and a fleet of sports cars it was a watershed moment for the Texas Rangers.

And if he DOESN'T sign him because the Pirates throw $6 mil at a 16 year old kid that means McPhail has failed the Orioles, failed Baltimore, failed his father's legacy and should be banished from the metropolitan area.

There is NO excuse if McPhail is unable to sign him. He needs to offer more money than anybody else. He needs to pony up and make a statement, much like that great negotiator and talent evaluator Tom Hicks. When he signed A-Rod to 250 mil and handed Chan Ho Park a small island and a fleet of sports cars it was a watershed moment for the Texas Rangers.

If the Orioles want him, they should be prepared to pay what it takes to get him and top all offers.

If they aren't prepared to do that, they shouldn't even bid because Sano's agent said money will be the deciding factor.

So you're on the record...how much do you think AM should be willing to spend?

As much as it takes to top the highest offer. I doubt he'll get more than $5 million and the Orioles can easily afford that and then some.

If the Orioles want him, they should be prepared to pay what it takes to get him and top all offers.

If they aren't prepared to do that, they shouldn't even bid because Sano's agent said money will be the deciding factor.

This is, once again, ridiculous. They shouldn't pay a penny more than they think he is worth. You don't top someone who is overpaying.

I may want a bottle of Krug Clos du Mesnil when I go to a restaurant, but I'm not going to pay $2500 for it. I may go to $1200 - or even $1800 - but there simply no reason to pay $2500.*

*Edited to note that that's a hypothetical.

Whatever it takes. There is no second place. If the Pirates bid $5 mil, we should go with "wow" offer and put $9 mil on the plate. That'll show'em. That's how good baseball teams are run.

This is, once again, ridiculous. They shouldn't pay a penny more than they think he is worth. You don't top someone who is overpaying.

If that's the case, they'll lose out. Sano is only taking the highest bid. If you aren't going to be that, you are just wasting your time going after him.

$1-2 million more isn't going to cripple the Orioles' budget...

How would the O's know what are the other team offers?

Archived